How to Contact Your Legislators:
- Using your web browser, go to www.capitol.state.tx.us.
- In the leftmost column, under the Redistricting heading, click on Who Represents Me?
- Choose your desired method of search. Key the requested information, then click on Find Member. The Address method results in the most specific information.
- Clicking on a Texas State Legislature member’s name will take one to that member’s website, where there is a wide variety of information, ranging from contact info to press releases to bills authored by the member.
- Some websites even have a link to send emails to the member. All sites have links to other components of the total Texas State Legislature universe.
How to learn about bills in progress:
- Using your web browser, go to www.capitol.state.tx.us
- In the middle of the home page, click on ‘go‘ next to Quick Bill status – 78th Legislative Session – the current session.
- From the left column, click on Bill List by Subject.
- Then, click on 78th Legislative Session.
- Next, click on General Subject Index. A list of bill subjects will appear.
- Clicking on any subject will bring up a list of bills. The ‘relating to’ sentence tells a bit about each bill. Status is also indicated.
- Clicking on the bill number takes one directly to the bill to read its language.
Submitted by Sallie Mullins Thompson